Former Senior Counsel To The Maryland Insurance Administration Gives Critical Preparation Tips As Hurricane Sandy Approaches
Ways to Conduct Your Home InventoryMove from room to room recording the value of each of your possessions. It is also helpful to keep track of model numbers and stores where you purchased each item. Here are methods you can use:
- Notepad and camera - as you take photographs, write down the details of each item.
- Video camera - this is an easy method because you can narrate the details of each item while videotaping.
- Personal computer - personal finance software packages often include a home inventory program.
Tips on Conducting Your Own Home Inventory
- Make sure you record the contents of closets, drawers and cabinets. The value of little things can add up quickly
- Store all lists, photographs and videotapes in a safe place off the premises. It is a good idea to keep back-ups as well.
- Update your home inventory. After making a significant purchase, be sure to add the information to your home inventory while it is still fresh in your mind.
- Keep all receipts, especially for big items such as jewelry, furs and collectibles. Also keep in mind that valuable items may need separate insurance coverage. Check with your agent.
Step 4: Getting Your Insurance Claim Paid
* Keep in contact with your insurance company. If you are not able to stay in your home, make sure the company has an address and phone number where it can reach you.* Inventory and document your losses: Take pictures of items before they're destroyed or taken away for repairs, and of your lot before it gets cleared (if applicable.) Create detailed lists of damaged property. If your home was seriously damaged or completely destroyed, get at least one, ideally two, independent repair/replacement cost estimates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV