Oil Rises As Massive Storm Aims For East Coast
The price of oil rose slightly Friday as data showed the U.S. economy is muddling along and the East Coast prepares for a potentially damaging storm.
Benchmark oil rose 23 cents to end at $86.28 per barrel Friday.
Forecasters expect a so-called "Frankenstorm" to hit the East Coast beginning early Sunday with heavy rain, winds and perhaps snow lingering into Halloween. It has the potential to force refinery closures and delay delivery of imports.More than half a dozen refineries could be in the path of the storm. Closures would cut into supplies of energy products such as gasoline and heating oil, which primarily is used in the Northeast to keep businesses and homes warm. Meanwhile, the government said the U.S. economy grew at an annual rate of 2 percent in the third quarter. That's better than the 1.3 percent growth in the second quarter, but still too weak to significantly boost job creation â¿¿ or energy demand. Although oil rose slightly on Thursday and Friday, it fell 4.2 percent for the week. The U.S. remains well-supplied with oil while demand for gasoline is down as large numbers of Americans remain unemployment and so don't drive to work. Oil is down 13 percent since hitting $99 in mid-September. That's led to lower pump prices. The national average price for gasoline fell 2.4 cents overnight to $3.575 per gallon, according to AAA, Wright Express and the Oil Price Information Service. That's 23 cents less than it was a month ago although still 13 cents more than this time last year. In London, Brent crude, which is used to price international varieties of oil, rose $1.06 to finish the day at $109.55 per barrel. In other futures trading in New York: â¿¿ Heating oil rose 3.57 cents to end at $3.0978 per gallon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV