NEWARK, N.J., Oct. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Public Service Electric and Gas (PSE&G) Company, New Jersey's largest electric and gas utility, is continuing to closely monitoring the track of Hurricane Sandy and is ramping up emergency preparations. Although the storm is now tracking further south, it is still expected to bring heavy rain, strong winds and flooding to our service territory. At this time, Hurricane Sandy is expected to begin impacting New Jersey as early as late Sunday with the full brunt of the storm hitting the area Monday into Tuesday.
In anticipation of Hurricane Sandy, PSE&G has requested more than 1,300 linemen and 600 tree contractors from utilities in other states to assist our highly skilled crews. The utility's call center will be fully staffed to handle calls from customers. Other employees will assist with assessing storm damage, keeping the public away from any downed power lines and other functions that support restoration efforts.
Since Hurricane Irene and the October snowstorm in 2011, PSE&G has made additional investments in our electric delivery system to help withstand storms.
- Replaced older 26,000-volt lines with lines capable of carrying 69,000 volts. These lines provide greater protection against lightning strikes and can better withstand wind and rain.
- Spent about $28 million pruning trees away from power lines.
- Tightened coordination with county Offices of Emergency Management to ensure that public officials have the latest information on outages and restoration progress.
- Compiled a list of school administrators and superintendents to contact in case schools are affected by outages.
- Made some improvements to our automated call answering systems.
- A battery powered radio.
- A corded telephone (cordless phones will not work if the power is out)
- Flashlights and extra fresh batteries.
- A first-aid kit.
- Bottled water and an adequate supply of non-perishable food.
- A non-electric can opener.
- Extra blankets and sleeping bags.
- A list of emergency phone numbers, including PSE&G's Customer Service line: 1-800-436-PSEG.