- Stock non-perishable food supplies, a first aid kit, a battery-powered radio, flashlights, blankets and extra batteries in air-tight containers.
- Adjust refrigerator temperatures to the coldest settings to reduce the potential for food spoiling if the power is temporarily lost.
- Have a non-electric analog telephone or a fully-charged cell phone available in case you need to make an emergency call during a power outage.
- Remove fuses from air conditioning system to prevent damage.
- Turn off water to prevent flooding from broken pipes.
- Turn off gas to prevent leaks from occurring.
- Turn off electricity at the main circuit breaker or fuse box to protect appliances from power surges.
- Never use a generator indoors, including garages, basements and crawlspaces, even with ventilation. Exhaust fumes contain high levels of carbon monoxide which can be deadly if inhaled. Even when left outside, keep generators away from doors and windows, and at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Do not use electrical or gas appliances that have been wet, and do not turn on damaged appliances because of the hazards of electric shock or fire.
- Avoid unnecessary road travel while crews are out clearing roads. Anyone taking to the streets and highways should consult local traffic information systems to anticipate driving conditions and adjust speeds and driving accordingly.
- If you live in an area that is frequently prone to flooding, stockpile emergency building materials, including plywood, plastic sheeting, lumber nails, hammer and saw, pry bar, shovels, and sandbags.
Frankenstorm Is Coming To New Jersey: Are You Prepared?
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.