BOSTON, Oct. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Hurricane Sandy has already caused significant damage to the Caribbean islands and is on track to hit the Northeast parts of the United States as soon as Monday morning. To make matters worse, there is a winter storm in Sandy's track and together, they could become the troublesome "Frankenstorm."
As a major energy provider in Massachusetts, Direct Energy wants to ensure that people know how to safeguard their families, homes and businesses. Direct Energy is providing useful tips in helping prepare for possible flooding, severe weather, snow and avoiding electrical issues during the aftermath:
- Stock non-perishable food supplies, a first aid kit, a battery-powered radio, flashlights, blankets and extra batteries in air-tight containers.
- Adjust refrigerator temperatures to the coldest settings to reduce the potential for food spoiling if the power is temporarily lost.
- Have a non-electric analog telephone or a fully-charged cell phone available in case you need to make an emergency call during a power outage.
- Remove fuses from air conditioning system to prevent damage.
- Turn off water to prevent flooding from broken pipes.
- Turn off gas to prevent leaks from occurring.
- Turn off electricity at the main circuit breaker or fuse box to protect appliances from power surges.
- Never use a generator indoors, including garages, basements and crawlspaces, even with ventilation. Exhaust fumes contain high levels of carbon monoxide which can be deadly if inhaled. Even when left outside, keep generators away from doors and windows, and at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Do not use electrical or gas appliances that have been wet, and do not turn on damaged appliances because of the hazards of electric shock or fire.
- Avoid unnecessary road travel while crews are out clearing roads. Anyone taking to the streets and highways should consult local traffic information systems to anticipate driving conditions and adjust speeds and driving accordingly.
- If you live in an area that is frequently prone to flooding, stockpile emergency building materials, including plywood, plastic sheeting, lumber nails, hammer and saw, pry bar, shovels, and sandbags.
Most importantly , have an evacuation plan in place that you and your family can memorize easily. If time allows, be sure to practice the evacuation procedures before a true emergency occurs. This should contain the safest routes with several options, in case some choices are flooded out.About Direct EnergyDirect Energy is one of North America's largest energy and energy-related services providers with more than 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV