Toy maker Mattel (MAT) is another name that's pushing higher in 2012. So far this year, shares of the California-based firm have rallied more than 36%. Mattel owns an impressive portfolio of toy brands, ranging from Barbie to Fisher-Price and Hot Wheels. The firm also has licenses to produce toys under popular franchises such as Batman, Disney and Dora the Explorer.
Yes, Mattel may be a toy maker, but it's not playing around with its dividend payout. Right now, the firm yields 3.28% thanks to a 31-cent payout each quarter.MAT owns some of the most attractive brands in the toy industry, a business where brand is everything. One of the biggest tailwinds kicking at Mattel's back is consumer spending. Recently, consumer sentiment pushed above pre-recession levels, pointing to increase comfort in discretionary spending among buyers. Since toys tend to be one of the most discretionary categories on store shelves, that economic stat is a very good sign for Mattel's top line. Finally, Mattel is in solid financial shape. The firm has a strong balance sheet with plenty of liquidity to keep the lights on in Barbie's Dream House even if times get tough again. The firm also enjoys deep margins and throws off considerable cash from its operations. Both of those factors help to support another impressive dividend payout in this stock. With Mattel's fourth-quarter dividend already announced this week, the first payout of 2013 looks like a likely hike.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV