NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Paul Volcker, the former Federal Reserve Chairman and adviser to President Obama, defended the rule named after him following concerns raised by credit ratings agency Standard & Poor's that it might hamper banks' creditworthiness.
In a recent report, S&P analysts stated that different versions of the Volcker Rule were being contemplated. The Wall Street Journal followed up shortly afterward with an anonymously-sourced story that said regulators were in disagreement about how strict the rule ought to be. The controversial rule is aimed at reducing risk in banks by placing strict limits on the amount of capital they are allowed to wager on directional market bets.
Volcker responded to questions about the S&P report via email, writing just two sentences. "I don't know what S&P defines
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV