The tech giant's revenue came in at $36 billion, up from $28.3 billion in the prior year's quarter, and above analysts' forecasts of $35.8 billion. Apple earned $8.67 a share on net income of $8.2 billion, up from earnings of $7.05 a share and net income of $6.6 billion in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, however, were looking for earnings of $8.75 a share.
The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm sold 26.9 million iPhones during the quarter, a 58% year-over-year hike. Apple's iPhone number also disproved rumors that the company has been struggling with supply chain issues. Wall Street had forecast between 25 million and 26 million iPhone sales.
Apple was one of Friday's most active premarket Nasdaq stocks on share volume of 848,934Facebook (FB), which beat on both the top and bottom lines when it reported its third-quarter results earlier this week, dipped 0.35% to $22.48 on share volume of 658,455. Amazon (AMZN), which came up short Thursday in its third-quarter results, gained 2.55% to reach $228.61 in premarket trading. Sirius XM (SIRI) shares rose 0.35% to $2.86 in premarket trading. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV