The Gorman-Rupp Company (NYSE MKT: GRC) reports financial results for the third quarter 2012 and announces the completion of the acquisition of Pumptron (Proprietary) Limited of Johannesburg, South Africa (“Pumptron”).
Net sales during the third quarter 2012 were $91.6 million compared to $90.2 million during the same period in 2011. Net income during the quarter was $6.7 million compared to $7.7 million in the third quarter 2011, a 13.0% decrease. Earnings per share were $0.32 and $0.37 for the respective periods.
Net sales for the nine months ended September 30, 2012 increased 7.7% to a record $287.0 million compared to $266.4 million during the same period in 2011. Both years benefited from increases in our seasonal agriculture market business contributed by our 2010 acquisition of National Pump Company. Net income increased 3.4% to a record $24.5 million compared to $23.7 million in the first nine months of 2011. Earnings per share were $1.17 and $1.13 for the respective periods.
Sales increased a modest 1.6% during the quarter compared to the same period last year. Sales improved 10.3% in our larger water markets group and declined 12.0% in our non-water markets. Major contributions to water market sales were shipments of pumps for domestic flood control, and shipments of pumps for water supply and sewage systems domestically and internationally. The quarter’s non-water market decreases were primarily in the OEM market due to the scale-down of U.S. military operations overseas, and shipments of fabricated products related to power generation declined due to the slow and unsteady economic recovery and related reduced power demands in North America.The decrease in earnings for the quarter was principally driven by a less favorable product mix among the market groups, combined with selling, general and administrative expense increases due to healthcare costs and the completion of the Pumptron acquisition.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV