After a half hour of talking, Hansen revealed he was a journalist working on a story. The man, indignant, said that the NBC crew hadn't caught him doing anything criminal.
"I'm not a lawyer," Hansen said. "My sense of it is they have to prove intent. Will police look him up and pay him a visit? Quite possibly."
They parted ways. Just to be safe, NBC producers quietly followed the man to a subway where he left the scene.
In another park, Hansen met with a man willing to sell the list of customers from his marijuana business. Before Hansen identified himself, the man said, "You look like that guy from the child molester show."Well, yes. Hansen's NBC identity is sealed as the host of "Dateline's" long-running "To Catch a Predator" series, a sting operation for men convinced they've found an underage girl online who wants sex. NBC no longer runs the series, but reruns with updates occasionally air on MSNBC. NBC drew ethical questions for its role in setting up these confrontations and some critics suggested the network was using humiliation for entertainment. Hansen knows it is the work he'll be remembered for most at NBC. In some situations, it's an advantage. Hansen said he's run into law enforcement officials who recognize him and give him access beyond what his competitors get. "I know what you're getting at," he said. "Clearly when there is a character based on you on 'South Park' or 'The Simpsons,' that is something that sticks with you for the rest of your career. But I'm fine with that." ____ NBC is controlled by Comcast Corp. ____ EDITOR'S NOTE â¿¿ David Bauder can be reached at dbauder(at)ap.org or follow him online at http://www.twitter.com/dbauder
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV