NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ NBC News' Chris Hansen has done his share of hidden camera work, most notably confronting would-be child predators. Even for him, meeting a man willing to carry out a hit was a chilling experience.
Hansen is shown negotiating with a hit man during a "Dateline NBC" special Friday exploring some of the strange and dangerous business being carried out online on sites like Craig's List and others. He also meets a man looking to sell his marijuana delivery business, a woman advertising her willingness to sell her kidney and another woman seeking to buy a kidney.
Drugs like OxyContin and Vicodin are available online, he said, and many young people are becoming dependent and then turning to heroin as a cheaper alternative."It's an eye-opening look at society because so much is going on on these web sites," he said. "Dateline NBC" didn't even get in to the issue of sex trafficking online. Hansen said there's enough material to make Friday's special, "Wild, Wild Web," a regular feature. Even Hansen wasn't quite prepared for the experience of meeting a man who advertised his willingness to complete "jobs done discreetly." When Hansen mentioned that there was someone he had a problem with, his potential partner noted that he could arrange to have a leg broken, to send someone to the hospital or guarantee that they could "disappear." When they sat down for a meeting in New York's Bryant Park, captured on hidden cameras, the hit man's eyes constantly scanned for someone suspicious. The man had suggested walking around and then meeting in a federal office building, knowing that metal detectors would reveal if Hansen was an undercover police officer wired with a recorder to make an arrest. Hansen wasn't working for the police, but he was wired. If he didn't talk the man into sitting down in the park, the story would have been ruined.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV