Third Quarter Executive Summary
- Third quarter 2012 net sales were $1.54 billion, a decrease of 0.9 percent versus prior year results.
- Core sales, which exclude the impact of changes in foreign currency translation, grew 1.5 percent.
- Normalized diluted earnings per share were $0.47 compared with $0.45 in the prior year period; reported diluted earnings per share were $0.37 compared with a loss of $0.61 in the year-ago period.
- Operating cash flow in the quarter was $301.5 million, an improvement of $6.2 million compared with the year-ago period.
- The company announced a 50 percent quarterly dividend increase from $0.10 to $0.15, effective in the fourth quarter of 2012, bringing the payout ratio to the high end of the targeted range of 30 to 35 percent.
- The company repurchased 1.5 million shares at a cost of $25.9 million.
- The company reaffirmed its 2012 guidance for core sales growth in a range from 2 to 3 percent, normalized operating margin improvement of up to 20 basis points, normalized earnings per share of $1.63 to $1.69 and operating cash flow of $550 to $600 million.
- The company announced an expansion of its Project Renewal restructuring program. The expansion is expected to generate incremental annualized cost savings of approximately $180 to $225 million when fully implemented by the end of the second quarter of 2015. The majority of these savings will be reinvested in the business to strengthen brand building and selling capabilities in priority markets around the world. The company expects to incur incremental cash costs of $225 to $250 million and record pretax restructuring charges in the range of $250 to $275 million over the same period.
Third Quarter 2012 Operating Results
Net sales in the third quarter were $1.54 billion, a decline of 0.9 percent compared with the prior year. Core sales, which exclude 240 basis points of adverse foreign currency translation, grew 1.5 percent, driven by the Baby & Parenting and Newell Professional segments and continued growth in emerging markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV