Bears Tune Into Virgin Media
By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Virgin Media (VMED) has been going straight up, but on Thursday the bears stepped in.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of more than 6,300 January 30 puts, most of which priced for 75 cents. Volume was more than 18 times open interest at the strike.
Those puts lock in the price where investors can sell shares of the British cable company, so they will increase in value in the event of a drop. If it remains above $30 through expiration, however, the options will become worthless.Virgin Media's shares fell 0.73% to $32.70 Thursday, two sessions after hitting an all-time high above $34. Some investors had accurately predicted that strong move, and rang up gains of more than 50% in less than a week. The company has been in a steady uptrend since the spring and just reported strong third-quarter subscriber gains. Thursday's bearish activity seems to be more a reflection of nervousness toward the broader market, where a pullback could drag down big gainers such as Virgin Media. Overall option volume in the name was seven times greater than average Thursday, with puts accounting for more than three-quarters of the total. Russell has no positions in VMED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV