SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In celebration of " Mother-in-Law Day," which is observed on Sunday, October 28, 2012, Zoosk.com, the romantic social network, recently surveyed more than 1,000 Americans to gather their thoughts about the modern-day mother-in-law. The survey findings include:
Most people have a good (or great!) relationship with their mother-in-law.
- 50% of those surveyed (all of whom have a mother-in-law) say they have a "good" or "great" relationship with their significant other's mom.
- 57% of Americans consider their mother-in-law to be a true "friend."
- 72% of Americans say their mother-in-law is a good grandmother to their children.
People admit they seek advice from their mother-in-law more often than you think.
- 44% of survey respondents say they regularly seek out or heed advice from their mother-in-law (in fact, 14% say they do this "all the time!").
- 19% say they "rarely" seek or follow advice from their mother-in-law.
- 36% say they "never" seek or follow advice from their mother-in-law.
Couples are all over the map when it comes to how often they see each other's parents.
- 32% of Americans say they see their mother-in-law just once a year.
- 25% say they see their mother-in-law several times per year.
- 34% of Americans see their mother-in-law at least once a month.
- 37% say Doris Roberts' character on "Everybody Loves Raymond" is the best mother-in-law character.
- 31% prefer Blythe Danner's character in "Meet the Parents."
- 26% say Jane Fonda's mother-in-law character in "Monster-in-Law" is their favorite mother-in-law depiction.
- Just 6% prefer Jessica Walter's mother-in-law role in "Arrested Development."