- Colgate (CL - Get Report) has undertaken restructuring that it now deems "structural." The arrival of this decision toward year-end tells me Colgate is looking to establish a new base from which to drive shareholder-friendly operating profits amid tepid global economies. Going further than that, it's a knock on the Federal Reserve's most recent efforts to juice employment and the economy, as folks are getting laid off and fear is zapping the spending tendencies of remaining workers. My view: The third quarter will start phase two of companies protecting their profits against their interpretation of a new normal. (This is the perception; I personally think gross domestic product can grow above 2%.)
- Build A Bear (BBW - Get Report) is exiting more stores. That will leave open real estate, as retailers will be unlikely to initially lease it due to any "uncertainty" of choice, the push to mobile and all that these things entail.
- Cheesecake Factory (CAKE - Get Report) is having its best sales late at night and in mid-afternoon. Somewhere in there lies a sad story about middle-income America.
- Deckers Outdoor (DECK) is running up against price resistance in the Ugg category -- new to the company. If the economy were outputting 3% and surprising to the upside, I don't think this would have occurred to such an extent. By the way, yes, I continue to be negative on the stock.
The Day Ahead: Burnin' Up for Your Love
Oct 26, 2012 | 09:00 AM EDT
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas