Mayo, a noted bear who has had a history of tangling with Citigroup management, did not respond to emailed questions, other than to state that his Oct. 17 upgrade of Citigroup shares to "outperform," was the first time he had recommended the stock since downgrading it from what he called "the equivalent of buy" to "sell" on Oct. 17, 2007.
Via email, a Citigroup spokesman wrote that Gerspach "was asked specifically whether he had read equity analysis calling for the break-up of Citi," adding that the CFO has indeed read Mayo's note, "which does not call for the break-up of Citi."
Mayo's report states Citigroup's new strategy following the appointment of CEO Michael Corbat "could include more aggressive restructuring." He argues Citigroup's "sum-of-the-parts" valuation is $52, and that "even with a conglomerate discount, the stock seems to have upside of 19% to $43."
Citigroup shares closed Thursday at $37.41, up from $36.66 at the time of Mayo's upgrade.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV