GAAP and non-GAAP earnings per share in the second quarter of fiscal year 2012 were adversely affected by $44 million in costs, or about $0.06 per share, associated with a workforce reduction. GAAP and non-GAAP operating margin in last year’s second quarter also were adversely affected by 3 percentage points each by the workforce reduction.
- Mainframe Solutions revenue was $619 million, down 2 percent in constant currency and 5 percent as reported. Operating expense was $247 million and operating profit was $372 million. Operating margin was 60 percent, up from 53 percent a year ago. There was a negative 3 percentage point operating margin impact in the prior period associated with the above-mentioned workforce reduction.
- Enterprise Solutions revenue was $438 million, up 1 percent in constant currency and down 2 percent as reported. Operating expense was $410 million and operating profit was $28 million. Operating margin was 6 percent, flat from a year ago. There also was a negative 4 percentage point operating margin impact in the prior period associated with the workforce reduction.
- Services revenue was $95 million, up 3 percent in constant currency and down 1 percent as reported. Operating expense was $89 million and operating profit was $6 million. Operating margin was 6 percent, up from 4 percent a year ago.
CASH FLOW FROM CONTINUING OPERATIONS
Cash flow from continuing operations in the second quarter was $89 million, compared with $190 million in the prior year. The decrease was primarily due to a decrease in cash collections as a result of lower billings.CAPITAL STRUCTURE
- Cash, cash equivalents and investments at Sept. 30, 2012 were $2.248 billion.
- With $1.294 billion in total debt outstanding and a borrowing position of $164 million on the Company’s notional pooling arrangement, the Company’s net cash, cash equivalents and investments were $790 million.
- During the quarter, the Company repurchased 9.7 million shares in the market for approximately $250 million.
- The Company is currently authorized to repurchase an additional $654 million of common stock through fiscal year 2014.
- The Company’s outstanding share count at Sept. 30, 2012 was 454 million.
- During the quarter, the Company distributed $116 million in dividends.
- Announced it has been named the market share leader in the worldwide cloud systems management software market by IDC, a leading IT market research and advisory firm***;
- Introduced a new version of CA Infrastructure Management (CA IM), the cornerstone of the Company’s converged infrastructure management solution that enables a superior and differentiated customer experience;
- Announced it has been named as a component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI) World Index and North America Index for the second consecutive year: and,
- Introduced an enhanced CA Nimsoft Monitor with advanced network flow analysis, enabling customers to visualize their IP traffic in ways that can assist them in optimizing application service levels.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts