Following the appointment of Gregg Lowe as president and CEO of Freescale, the company began a detailed review of its strategic direction with the overall objective of identifying opportunities that would accelerate revenue growth and improve profitability.
“We conducted a thorough and extensive review of all our businesses, markets and regions during my first three months,” said Lowe. “We gathered input from a number of internal and external sources with the objective of identifying our true differentiators and the markets where they would make us a leading force.”
“Our goal was to identify areas where we can reinforce our strengths to drive top line growth and margin expansion, then reallocate our R&D resources toward those areas of high-value and high-growth,” said Lowe.Realigning Businesses. As a result of this analysis, the company is realigning its product groups as follows:
- Microcontrollers include microcontrollers for the company’s Industrial and Multi-Market (IMM) and Metering, Medical and Connectivity (MMC) product groups as well as Multimedia Applications (MAD) processors. Microcontrollers will also be the primary platform driver for our overall microcontroller portfolio, creating products and platforms that will eventually be deployed to our automotive MCU product group. Geoff Lees will run Microcontrollers. Lees joined Freescale in 2011 from NXP Semiconductor and previously served as Freescale’s Vice President of the IMM product group.
- Digital Networking includes networking processors previously part of our Networking Products and Wireless Access product groups. The team’s sharpened focus will include significant resource increases in both chip design and software resources for standard processors aimed at the networking and communications markets. Tom Deitrich will run Digital Networking. Deitrich has been with the company since 2006 and previously managed Networking and Multimedia Solutions.
- Automotive MCU includes the company’s microcontrollers sold to the automotive market. Our focus will be to regain market share in automotive MCUs, capture new growth opportunities in Asia and Japan and expand our gross margin. Bob Conrad will run Automotive MCU. Conrad recently joined Freescale from Fairchild Semiconductor where he ran the company’s analog and low voltage discrete business along with technology development and strategy. Prior to that, he managed the Analog Devices DSP group and was the Automotive Microcontroller Manager at Texas Instruments.
- Analog & Sensors includes automotive analog, mixed-signal analog and sensor products. The focus of Analog & Sensors will change from being primarily automotive focused to be more balanced between automotive and mixed signal analog, with an emphasis on developing analog products that complement our Microcontroller product group. We believe this will enable Analog & Sensors to both grow top line revenue and improve gross margins. James Bates will run Analog & Sensors. Bates recently joined the company, having previously held a similar position at Maxim Integrated Products.
- RF will include the company’s RF power amplifiers. The focus of RF will be to utilize an increased resourcing pool to drive into new markets and accelerate top line growth. Ritu Favre will run RF. Favre joined Freescale as an engineer in 1988, and she has been the General Manager of RF since October 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV