In the third quarter of 2012, the Company continued to achieve loan growth, with its loan portfolio increasing $39.5 million organically on a linked-quarter basis and advancing $121.9 million overall compared with the year-earlier quarter. For the third quarter of 2012, the Company's loan portfolio, including loans acquired through FDIC-assisted acquisitions, totaled $634.9 million, which increased $29.9 million on a linked-quarter basis. Total deposits stood at $845.1 million at the end of the third quarter of 2012, down 2% or $15.2 million on a linked-quarter basis from $860.3 million, primarily reflecting a planned runoff of time deposits.
Non-interest income for the third quarter of 2012 decreased 26% to $4.4 million from $5.9 million in the year-earlier quarter, primarily driven by a negative swing in the accretion for the FDIC loss-share receivable of $2.1 million and a negative change in gain on acquisitions of $2.1 million, which were partially offset by an increased gain on sale of securities of $1.3 million and improvements in mortgage banking fees of $1.0 million and bankcard services income of $98,000. Non-interest expense for the third quarter of 2012 increased 22% to $12.0 million from $9.8 million in the year-earlier quarter, primarily driven increased salaries and employment benefits of $1.0 million, driven in part by $641,000 in early retirement expense, and increased foreclosure expense on FDIC-acquired assets of $563,000 and loss on sale and write-downs of other real estate assets, excluding FDIC-acquired, of $229,000 offset in part by reduced acquisition-related expenses of $285,000.
Accounting for FDIC-Assisted Loans
The Company performs ongoing assessments of the estimated cash flows of its acquired FDIC-assisted loan portfolios. The fair value of the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios consisted of $78.8 million in covered and $14.3 million in non-covered loans at the end of the third quarter of 2012 compared with $87.4 million in covered and $15.2 million in non-covered loans at the end of the second quarter of 2012. The principal balance of the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios totaled $171.6 million at the end of the third quarter of 2012 compared with $188.0 million as of the end of the second quarter of 2012. The details of the accounting for the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios for the third quarter of 2012 are as follows:
- Covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $8.6 million to $78.8 million;
- Non-covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $911,000 to $14.3 million;
- The FDIC loss-share receivable associated with covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $8.6 million to $67.7 million;
- The negative accretion for the FDIC loss-share receivable was $1.6 million;
- Provision expense for loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions was $1.2 million;
- The non-accretable discount decreased $12.3 million to $54.2 million; and
- The accretable discount increased $5.6 million to $24.4 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV