Heritage Financial Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: HBOS), the holding company for HeritageBank of the South, today announced unaudited financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2012. Highlights of the Company's results for the third quarter of 2012 include:
- Net income of $2.0 million or $0.25 per diluted share, up 15% from net income of $1.7 million or $0.21 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2011 and up 47% from $1.4 million or $0.17 per diluted share for the second quarter of 2012;
- Excluding special items for each quarter, net income was $1.5 million or $0.19 per diluted share for 2012 versus net income of $422,000 or $0.05 per diluted share for 2011 and $1.4 million or $0.17 per diluted share from the second quarter of 2012 (see reconciliation of non-GAAP items);
- The completion of a previously announced early retirement program, which added $641,000 in additional expense for the quarter, but which is expected to save approximately $700,000 annually beginning in 2013;
- Loan growth for the quarter, excluding loans acquired through FDIC-assisted acquisitions, of $39.5 million or 8%;
- A decrease in loans acquired through FDIC-assisted acquisitions of $9.5 million or 9% for the quarter;
- A decrease in provision for loan losses, excluding FDIC-acquired loans, of $250,000 to $750,000 for the third quarter of 2012 compared with $1.0 million for the same quarter for 2011 and $750,000 for the second quarter of 2012;
- Provision for loan losses of $1.2 million for FDIC-acquired loans with approximately 80% of the losses reimbursable by the FDIC compared with no provision expense on such loans for the third quarter of 2011 and $341,000 for the second quarter of 2012;
- A decrease in annualized net charge-offs to 0.24% for the third quarter of 2012 compared with 0.73% for the third quarter of 2011 and 0.23% for the second quarter of 2012; and
- Elected fair value accounting for mortgage loans held for sale for the third quarter resulting in an overall positive impact to earnings of $492,000.
Commenting on the results, Leonard Dorminey, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, "We are pleased to report another quarter of significant organic loan growth, continued improvement in core earnings, and ongoing acquisition and expansion activities. Regarding expansion activity, we were pleased to announce the addition of a new management team to our mortgage division. We expect this team to lead significant growth in our mortgage business, particularly in the Atlanta, Georgia market. We also opened a full-service banking office in Macon, Georgia, during the quarter, which will enhance the success of our mortgage and commercial banking operations in that market."