Cloud Peak Energy Inc. (NYSE:CLD), one of the largest U.S. coal producers and the only pure-play Powder River Basin (PRB) coal company, today announced results for the third quarter and first nine months of 2012.
2012 Third Quarter and Nine Months Highlights
- Record Adjusted EBITDA (1) of $108.4 million in the third quarter of 2012 compared with $87.9 million in the third quarter of 2011; Adjusted EBITDA of $249.8 million compared with $258.8 million for the first nine months of 2011.
- Net income of $85.3 million resulting in Adjusted EPS (1) of $0.80 compared to $0.61 in the third quarter of 2011; net income of $145.6 million resulting in Adjusted EPS of $1.62 compared to $1.78 in the first nine months of 2011.
- Diluted EPS of $1.39 compared to $0.41 in the third quarter of 2011; diluted EPS of $2.39 compared to $2.41 in the first nine months of 2011.
- Generated cash from operations of $202.0 million for the first nine months of 2012.
- Shipments from the three owned and operated mines in the quarter were 24.4 million tons, level with the third quarter of 2011. For the first nine months, shipments were 67.0 million tons compared to 70.5 million tons in 2011.
- Asian exports were up approximately 7.5% in the third quarter of 2012 to 1.5 million tons from 1.4 million tons in 2011.
- Improved 2012 full-year guidance including increased Adjusted EBITDA expectations of $310 million to $340 million.
(1) Defined later.
“After a slower second quarter for shipments, we were pleased that the hot summer and rising natural gas prices led to stronger shipments to our customers in the third quarter. Our realized average price of $13.28 per ton was well above spot prices and continues to support our strategy of selling forward our production. In combination with good operational cost controls at the mines, this generated a record Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter of $108 million,” said Colin Marshall, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Nevertheless, current forward prices for 2013 and 2014 domestic deliveries are low, and we are managing the business accordingly. In addition, current Newcastle prices for 2013 are below 2012 levels, which will reduce our 2013 export margins.”
|Operating Highlights (1)||Q3||Q3||First Nine Months||First Nine Months|
|Tons sold (in millions)||24.4||24.4||67.0||70.5|
|Realized price per ton sold||$||13.28||$||12.91||$||13.24||$||12.88|
|Average cost of product sold per ton||$||9.14||$||9.17||$||9.64||$||9.12|
|(1) Includes the three company-operated mines only.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV