Key Highlights for the Third Quarter:
- Record assets under management (AUM) of $392.2 billion are up 22 percent compared to the year ago quarter.
- Strong Retirement and Investor Services sales in the third quarter, with $2.7 billion for Full Service Accumulation, $4.5 billion for Principal Funds and $447 million for Individual Annuities.
- Net cash flows of $1.6 billion for Full Service Accumulation and a record $2.5 billion for Principal Funds.
- Record unaffiliated AUM of $97.8 billion for Principal Global Investors, including unaffiliated net cash flows of $2.2 billion.
- Reported record net cash flows of $2.7 billion and record AUM of $66.2 billion for Principal International (excluding $9.7 billion of AUM in our asset management joint venture in China, which are not included in reported assets under management).
- Individual Life sales of $48 million, up 17 percent over third quarter 2011.
- Specialty Benefits premium and fee growth of 5 percent over third quarter 2011.
- Strong capital position with an estimated risk based capital ratio of 440 percent at quarter-end and $2.2 billion of excess capital. 2
- Quarterly dividend of $0.21 per common share in the third quarter 2012 represents a 17 percent increase over the second quarter 2012 dividend.
- Repurchase of 2.7 million shares of common stock in the third quarter at an average price of $25.72, bringing the year-to-date total number of shares repurchased to 9.9 million.
- Book value per share, excluding AOCI 3 was $28.63, up 4 percent over third quarter 2011 and 2 percent sequentially.
Net IncomeNet income available to common stockholders of $179.7 million for third quarter 2012 reflects net realized capital gains of $88.8 million, which includes:
- A net gain of $141.2 million as a result of Catalyst Health Solutions, Inc.’s merger into a subsidiary of SXC Health Solutions Corp. (SXC), and our subsequent sale of our interest in SXC (now known as Catamaran Corporation);
- $30.7 million net loss from the change in our GMWB embedded derivative primarily from the impact on fair value due to the reduction of our own credit spread during the quarter;
- $22.3 million of net losses related to sales and permanent impairments of fixed maturity securities, including:
- $17.9 million of losses on commercial mortgage backed securities, which is down 24 percent from $23.5 million loss in third quarter 2011.
Retirement and Investor ServicesSegment operating earnings for third quarter 2012 were $137.5 million, compared to $129.6 million for the same period in 2011. Full Service Accumulation earnings were $71.7 million compared to $69.7 million in the year ago quarter, with growth in net revenues partially offset by a $3.4 million charge from the actuarial assumption review of deposits. Principal Funds earnings were $13.4 million compared to $12.5 million in third quarter 2011, also reflecting strong revenue growth. Individual Annuities earnings were $22.7 million compared to $17.5 million for third quarter 2011. Third quarter 2012 results reflect an $11.0 million charge from the actuarial assumption review of long-term interest rate assumptions. The year ago quarter results were negatively impacted by a $9.0 million DPAC amortization expense true up due to negative equity market returns. Bank and Trust Services operating earnings were $8.8 million, compared to $9.2 million for third quarter 2011. The guaranteed businesses, which consist of Investment Only and Full Service Payout, earned $20.9 million in the third quarter 2012 compared to $20.7 million in third quarter 2011.Operating revenues for the third quarter 2012 were $1,570.7 million compared to $996.0 million for the same period in 2011 driven by higher sales in the Full Service Payout business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV