FLORENCE, S.C., Oct. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Progress Energy Carolinas, a subsidiary of Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK), has installed six plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) charging stations in South Carolina, as part of its commercial charging station research program.
These are the first public-access charging stations Duke Energy has installed in the state. The host sites will cover the cost of electricity during the research project. The new stations are ready for use and two each are located at:
- City of Hartsville's Fifth Street parking lot
- City of Florence's parking lot, corner of Irby and Cheves Streets
- Hilton Garden Inn, 2671 Hospitality Blvd., Florence
"The adoption of plug-in electric vehicles continues to grow in our communities and we're committed to helping ensure our infrastructure is ready for their eventual widespread use," said Clark Gillespy, Duke Energy state president – South Carolina. "This research project gives us insight into the electric system's state of readiness to accommodate charging equipment, which will help us as we transform into the transportation fuel providers of the future."Data collected from the stations will help the utility evaluate charging needs outside the home, impact on the grid and the costs and issues associated with installing public-access charging stations. These insights will help the utility better plan for the large-scale adoption of PEVs. Progress Energy Carolinas has now provided 36 public-access PEV charging stations at commercial and governmental locations. The utility plans to have provided 40 public-access charging stations in the Carolinas at the completion of this research project. These are level-2 charging stations, which means they use a 240-volt circuit instead of a standard 120-volt home outlet. A level-2 charging station can charge a PEV three to five times faster than a typical outlet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV