The tech giant's revenue came in at $36 billion, up from $28.3 billion in the prior year's quarter, and above analysts' forecast of $35.8 billion. Apple earned $8.67 a share on net income of $8.2 billion, up from earnings of $7.05 a share and net income of $6.6 billion in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, however, were looking for earnings of $8.75 a share.
The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm sold 26.9 million iPhones during the quarter, a 58% year-over-year hike. Apple's iPhone number also disproved rumors that the company has been struggling with supply chain issues. Wall Street had forecast between 25 million and 26 million iPhone sales.
Apple sold 14 million iPhones during the quarter, a 26% increase on the same period last year.CEO Tim Cook also took a swipe at Microsoft's (MSFT) new Surface tablet during the company's earnings conference call, labelling the device "a fairly compromised, confusing product." Apple's board also declared a quarterly dividend of $2.65 per common share after market close on Thursday. Shares of Apple were off 0.17% at $608.5 in extended trading. Check out TheStreet's live blog recap for more details of Apple's fourth-quarter earnings announcement and conference call: --Written by James Rogers and Chris Ciaccia in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV