NEWARK, N.J., Oct. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Public Service Electric and Gas (PSE&G) Company, New Jersey's largest electric and gas utility, is closely monitoring the track of Hurricane Sandy and is making emergency preparations should the storm bring heavy rain, strong winds and flooding to our service territory. At this time, the storm is expected to begin impacting New Jersey as early as late Sunday with the full brunt of the storm hitting the area on Monday and/or Tuesday.
In anticipation of Hurricane Sandy, PSE&G is taking the following steps to ensure that the utility is ready to respond to what may be widespread power outages:
- Ensuring that all available personnel are ready to respond beginning this weekend.
- Arranging for contractors, including tree crews, to assist the utility's own skilled workforce.
- Ensuring that additional supplies, such as poles, transformers and other pole-top equipment, are on hand.
- Ensuring that all vehicles are fueled and ready to go.
- Testing generators at utility locations.
- Checking locations for potential flooding and taking precautions, such as using sandbags to help divert water from substation equipment.
- Coordinating with county OEMs to keep them updated on outages and restoration efforts.
Clearly, a storm like Hurricane Sandy has the potential to interrupt service. High winds might cause trees to brush up against power lines, and lightning could strike and damage trees or pole-top equipment. There also is the potential for trees to be uprooted.Depending on the severity of the storm, response times for both electric and gas emergency services may be longer than usual. PSE&G asks for our customers' patience and cooperation as we work to safely restore service as quickly as possible. As the storm gets closer, the utility will provide information about estimated restoration times.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts