"Admittedly, overall durable goods orders rebounded 9.9% last month," he said. "However, non-defense capital goods orders (ex. aircraft) were unchanged and August's gain was revised lower. Worse still, actual shipments in the same category shrank in September and the decline in August was bigger than originally reported."
The only other release is the final University of Michigan consumer sentiment reading, which is due at 9:55 a.m. ET. Economists are expecting the number to stand pat at 83.1.
The stock was looking incrementally higher as the extended session drew to a close, so this may be a case of the bad news not being all that bad (or priced in). A virtual avalanche of sell-side research will surely offer a range of opinions.Amazon (AMZN) will another one to watch as the company's operating margins dipped into negative territory last quarter and founder and CEO Jeff Bezos seems almost euphoric about it. "Our approach is to work hard to charge less. Sell devices near breakeven and you can pack a lot of sophisticated hardware into a very low price point," said Bezos in the press release announcing the company's wider than anticipated third-quarter loss. The stock was off nearly 1% after the close. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV