How States Fared On Applications For Jobless Aid
The Associated Press
Weekly U.S. applications unemployment benefits fell 23,000 last week to 369,000, after being distorted the previous two weeks by technical problems. The four-week average rose slightly to 368,000, a level consistent with only modest hiring.
Here are the states with the biggest increases and decreases in applications. The state data are for the week ended Oct. 13, one week behind the national data.
States with the biggest increases:California: Up 26,935, due to layoffs in all sectors, particularly the service industry Florida: Up 3,947, due to layoffs in agriculture, construction, manufacturing, retail and services Ohio: Up 1,936, due to layoffs in transportation and manufacturing Washington: Up 1,435, due to layoffs in manufacturing and agriculture Alaska: Up 1,383, no reason given States with the biggest decreases: New York: Down 3,395, due to fewer layoffs in health care and social assistance, real estate and food service New Jersey: Down 1,311, due to fewer layoffs in construction, administrative, healthcare and retail Georgia: Down 1,285, due to fewer layoffs in manufacturing and health care Massachusetts: Down 1,141, no reason given
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV