Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that WakeMed Health & Hospitals recently upgraded its backbone network leveraging Ciena’s packet networking solutions. Using principles of Ciena’s OPn architecture, WakeMed’s network is now more scalable and programmable, ensuring the network will support high-performance applications of the future. The enhanced network equips WakeMed’s hospitals, clinics and data centers with greater capacity to support high-bandwidth clinical and business applications. Since deploying Ciena’s solutions, WakeMed has reduced network real estate and power consumption expenses by roughly 70 percent, which has resulted in approximately 60 percent reduction of the total operating cost for its network.
- WakeMed is an 870-bed private, not-for-profit health care system based in Raleigh, North Carolina. The health network encompasses 15 locations, providing a variety of services including 24/7 emergency care, outpatient procedures and home health care.
- To improve network availability and expand the total capacity of its aging backbone network, WakeMed deployed Ciena’s 5150 Service Aggregation Switch. The upgraded network has quadrupled the health care system’s bandwidth capacity, and provided carrier-grade resiliency and reliability to ensure rapid delivery of critical health care applications and services, such as picture archiving and communications system (PACS), e-ICU, electronic health records (EHR) and administrative applications.
- WakeMed leveraged Ciena’s packet networking technology to segment its application traffic into three types of virtual local area networks (VLANs): a VOIP signaling network with high quality of service priority; router-to-router backbone connectivity using resilient G.8032 Ethernet rings; and a data network for other business and healthcare applications.
- The 5150’s built-in operational efficiencies, including service-aware operating system and advanced operations, administration and maintenance (OAM) suite, as well as its space-saving, two rack unit footprint, allowed WakeMed to reduce operational and capital expenses. WakeMed now operates its network using less rack space, and with reduced management and maintenance costs.
- Ciena Specialist Services provided installation, turn-up and testing. Ronco Communications, a Ciena BizConnect Diamond partner, provided design assistance, technical resources and project management services.
- “Ciena’s packet networking solution offered a cost effective alternative to our legacy DWDM equipment, reduced the complexity in the network and delivered increased bandwidth.”- John Tuman, Director Network Services, WakeMed Health & Hospitals
- “For a regional health care provider like WakeMed that operates multiple facilities in disparate locations, it is essential to have a reliable network that can connect its facilities to each other, and to data centers, instantly. Using the 5150 to offer high-bandwidth broadband access along with Ronco’s expertise for project management, WakeMed now boasts a reliable, flexible backbone network that can scale to meet a growing array of digital health care services.”- Chad Whalen, Vice President and General Manager, North America Field Operations, Ciena
- A key aspect of Ciena’s OP n architecture, Ciena's packet networking portfolio combines intelligent devices and software to create low-touch, high-velocity Carrier Ethernet access and metro networks creating a common, consistent way to deliver the full range of Ethernet services that significantly accelerates and automates service creation and activation.
- A number of health care institutions leverage Ciena’s packet networking solutions for increased network scalability, reliability and flexibility. Among others, these include Children's Hospital Boston; Iowa Health System; Saint Francis Hospital in Connecticut; Denver Children’s Hospital; and UC Health in Ohio.
- Product Overview: Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Webinar: Carrier Ethernet Solutions Overview
- Data Sheet: 5150 Service Aggregation Switch
- Data Sheet: Ciena Specialist Services
- White Paper: The Strategic Imperative of an Ethernet Metro Aggregation Network
- Video: G.8032 – Ethernet Ring Protection Switching
- Service Description: Ciena BizConnect Partner Program