The Company previously classified its businesses into two reportable segments, the News Media Group and the About Group. However, following the announcement of the About Group sale in August 2012, the Company views its operations and manages its business as one reportable segment effective for the quarter ended September 23, 2012. The Company will continue to provide revenues for The New York Times Media Group and the New England Media Group.
This release includes non-GAAP financial measures, a discussion of management’s reasons for the presentation of these non-GAAP financial measures and reconciliations to the most comparable GAAP financial measures.
There were no special items in the third quarter of 2012.
The third-quarter 2011 results included the following special items:
- A $65.3 million ($37.8 million after tax or $.24 per share) gain on the sale of 390 of the Company’s units in Fenway Sports Group.
- A $46.4 million ($27.5 million after tax or $.18 per share) charge in connection with the prepayment of the Company’s $250 million 14.053 percent notes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV