- Net sales of $921.3 million in the quarter were down one percent versus the third quarter of 2011. Excluding the unfavorable impact of foreign exchange, sales increased one percent.
- GAAP net earnings were $0.69 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2012 compared to $0.70 per diluted share in 2011.
- Non-GAAP (1) net earnings were $0.71 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2012 compared to $0.78 per diluted share a year earlier.
- Constant dollar sales for the Asia/Latin America segment grew three percent in the quarter. Sales growth for the segment was reduced by eight percent from planned distributor inventory reductions in China, as well as the difficult comparison to the prior year period when customers in Asia made higher purchases in advance of our SAP launch. Excluding China/Hong Kong, the rest of the Asia/Latin America segment delivered double-digit growth.
- For the North America/Europe segment, both regions contributed to a four percent constant dollar sales decline. The decline in Europe was due to a challenging comparison with higher sales in the prior year after the transition to a new distributor model and weak current year economic conditions. Sales in North America were down from lower market share, attributed to the impact of the unfounded media reports in December 2011 alleging product contamination, and market contraction.
- Notwithstanding lower sales, demand-generation investments increased as compared to the prior year, which reduced current year earnings by $0.04 per diluted share.
- Earnings in the third quarter of 2012 included a $0.02 loss per diluted share from foreign currency re-measurement on U.S. dollar denominated balances held by our foreign subsidiaries. In contrast, earnings in the third quarter of 2011 benefited from a $0.05 gain per diluted share from the foreign currency re-measurement .
- Earnings in the third quarter of 2012 also included a benefit of $0.06 per diluted share from adjustments to prior years’ tax accruals.
- Full-year GAAP EPS guidance, which includes specified items estimated at $0.11 per diluted share, is expected to be in the range of $2.91 to $2.96, previously estimated at $2.95 to $3.05. Full-year non-GAAP EPS is expected to be in the range of $3.02 to $3.07, previously estimated at $3.04 to $3.14. (1) See “Non-GAAP Financial Measures” and the reconciliation of GAAP and non-GAAP results included in this release.
Mead Johnson Nutrition Reports Third Quarter Earnings; Year To Date Constant Dollar Sales Up 7 Percent
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.