However, Netflix deserves some credit.
When the business imploded and the stock crashed, it halted the repurchase program. And Hastings cut back his option exercising.
Zynga, another growth company (or at least that's the plan), announced Wednesday that its board authorized the repurchase of up to $200 million worth of stock, as posted on its Web site. On Wednesday's earnings conference call, the company's CFO noted he was uncertain if Zynga would end the year free cash flow positive.
You could argue that it makes sense to buy back shares with your stock so low. Plus, Zynga is flush with cash.That argument doesn't wash. Given its uncertain business and it's horrible history of acquisitions (it took a nearly $100 million charge this past quarter related to its purchase of OMGPOP), Zynga has the potential to burn cash quickly. At day's end, Zynga needs another hit game. And then another. And then another. And then another. Pincus needs to turn this company around. I've never questioned his ability as a visionary. If anybody can vision, it's him. That said, he's not fit to be CEO. Instead of buybacks and spewing talking points on conference calls (he sidestepped the million dollar Facebook (FB) question), Pincus should focus on one thing for the time being -- making himself "Chief Strategy Officer" like Tim Westergren is at Pandora (P) and naming a CEO who can handle the gig. At the very least, he should do what Hastings should have done long ago -- bring in a strong COO. Somebody like Sheryl Sandberg who makes more than a token contribution at Facebook. She helps Zuckerberg run the show. Counterintuitively, if you compare the three -- Zuck, Pincus and Hastings -- the youngest CEO appears to require the least assistance. Maybe the COO has something to do with that. At the time of publication, the author was long FB and P. Follow @RoccoPendola
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV