- On October 18, Biogen Idec announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has extended the initial PDUFA date for its review of the New Drug Application (NDA) for the marketing approval of BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate), the company’s oral therapeutic candidate for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). The three month extension is a standard extension period. The FDA has indicated that the extension of the PDUFA date is needed to allow additional time for review of the application. The agency did not ask for additional studies.
- On October 10, Biogen Idec presented extensive data from the company’s leading MS franchise during the 28 th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS) in Lyon, France. Fifty-three poster and platform presentations further showcased Biogen Idec’s commitment to advancing the treatment of MS and improving the lives of people living with the disease around the world. Approved and investigational therapies in Biogen Idec’s MS franchise presented at the conference included BG-12, daclizumab-HYP, anti-LINGO, TYSABRI, AVONEX and FAMPYRA ® (prolonged-release fampridine tablets).
Third Quarter Events
- On September 26, Biogen Idec and Swedish Orphan Biovitrum (Sobi) announced positive top-line results from a Phase 3 study investigating long-lasting recombinant Factor IX Fc fusion protein (rFIXFc) in hemophilia B. The primary efficacy and safety objectives were met and Biogen Idec plans to submit a Biologics License Application to the FDA by the first quarter of 2013.
- On September 19, Biogen Idec announced that the September 20, 2012 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) published detailed results from two pivotal clinical trials that evaluated oral BG-12 for the treatment of MS. Results of the Phase 3 DEFINE and CONFIRM studies support BG-12’s potential as a new oral option for MS treatment.
Conference Call and Webcast
The company's earnings conference call for the third quarter will be broadcast via the internet at 8:00 a.m. ET on October 25, 2012, and will be accessible through the Investors section of Biogen Idec's homepage, www.biogenidec.com. Supplemental information in the form of a slide presentation will also be accessible at the same location on the internet at the time of the conference call and will be subsequently available on the website for one month.About Biogen Idec Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen Idec discovers, develops and delivers to patients worldwide innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, hemophilia and autoimmune disorders. Founded in 1978, Biogen Idec is the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Patients worldwide benefit from its leading multiple sclerosis therapies, and the company generates more than $5 billion in annual revenues. For product labeling, press releases and additional information about the company, please visit www.biogenidec.com. About AVONEX AVONEX is one of the most prescribed treatments for relapsing forms of MS worldwide. AVONEX is indicated for the treatment of patients with relapsing forms of MS to slow the accumulation of physical disability and decrease the frequency of clinical exacerbations. Patients with MS in whom efficacy has been demonstrated include patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with MS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV