GrafTech International Ltd. (NYSE:GTI) today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012.
2012 Third Quarter Review
Net sales were $321 million, a decrease of seven percent, versus $346
million in the third quarter of 2011.
- Industrial Materials revenue was $260 million, a decrease of 14 percent year-over-year.
- Engineered Solutions revenue was $61 million, an increase of 39 percent year-over-year.
- EBITDA* was $65 million, a decrease of 16 percent, versus $78 million in the third quarter of 2011. The decline was largely driven by lower volumes in our Industrial Materials segment, partly offset by higher realized pricing for graphite electrodes and needle coke and improved performance in our Engineered Solutions segment.
- Net income was $30 million or $0.22 per diluted share versus $40 million or $0.28 per diluted share in the third quarter of 2011.
- Net cash provided by operating activities was $45 million versus $47 million in the third quarter of 2011.
- Net debt* was $604 million as compared to $597 million at the end of the second quarter of 2012.
Craig Shular, Chief Executive Officer of GrafTech, commented, "Despite a challenging operating environment, our third quarter results came in ahead of expectations due to good cost control and overhead management, along with solid performance from our Engineered Solutions business."
Industrial Materials SegmentThe Industrial Materials segment’s net sales were $260 million in the third quarter of 2012, as compared to $302 million in the third quarter of 2011. Lower sales volume of graphite electrodes and needle coke were partially offset by higher realized pricing of both products. Operating income for the Industrial Materials segment was $37 million in the third quarter of 2012, as compared to $54 million in the third quarter of 2011. Lower volumes across the segment were partially offset by higher realized pricing, the carryover of lower cost raw materials and favorable currency exchange rate movement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV