Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. (NASDAQ: ODFL) today announced Company record third-quarter financial results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012. Revenue increased 10.1% to $544.5 million for the third quarter from $494.5 million for the third quarter of 2011. Net income for the third quarter was $51.0 million, an increase of 32.1% from $38.6 million for the third quarter last year. Net income per diluted share for the third quarter was $0.59, an increase of 31.1% from $0.45 for the same period last year. Old Dominion's operating ratio improved to 85.1% for the third quarter of 2012 from 86.2% for the third quarter of 2011. All prior-period share and per share data in this release have been adjusted to reflect the Company's September 2012 three-for-two stock split.
For the first nine months of 2012, revenue was $1.58 billion, an increase of 13.3% from $1.40 billion for the first nine months of 2011. Net income grew 30.5% to $130.0 million for the first nine months of 2012 from $99.6 million for the same period in 2011, while earnings per diluted share increased 30.2% to $1.51 from $1.16. The Company's operating ratio improved to 86.2% for the first nine months of 2012 from 87.8% for the comparable prior-year period.
David S. Congdon, President and Chief Executive Officer of Old Dominion, commented, “Old Dominion continued to produce outstanding operating and financial results during the third quarter, as we achieved third-quarter records for our revenue, operating ratio and earnings per diluted share. We believe these results were generated, despite weak economic conditions, through the strength of our value proposition, which consists of providing on-time and claims-free service at a fair and equitable price. As a result, we continue to win market share and increase the density within our service center network, which allows us to produce strong profitable growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV