The financial services segment's 2012 third-quarter reported and adjusted OCI decreased $4 million to $79 million primarily due to a $35 million decrease in the allowance for losses in the third quarter of 2011 that favorably impacted OCI in that year, partially offset by $33 million in recoveries during the third quarter of 2012 related to PMCC's lease investment with American Airlines, Inc. (American), which filed for bankruptcy in November 2011.
For the first nine months of 2012, the financial services segment's reported OCI increased $525 million to $166 million primarily due to lower charges related to the tax treatment of PMCC's LILO and SILO transactions, higher gains on asset sales, recoveries related to American and a $10 million decrease in the allowance for losses that favorably impacted OCI earlier this year. These favorable factors were partially offset by lower lease revenues in 2012 and a $35 million decrease in the allowance for losses in 2011 that favorably impacted OCI in that year. Adjusted OCI, which is calculated excluding the PMCC leveraged lease charges identified in Table 12, increased $42 million to $173 million for the first nine months of 2012. OCI for the financial services segment is summarized in Table 12.
|Table 12 - Financial Services: Operating Companies Income (Loss) ($ in millions)|
|Third Quarter||Nine Months Ended September 30,|
|Reported Operating Companies Income (Loss)||$||79||$||83||(4.8)%||$||166||$||(359||)||100%+|
|PMCC leveraged lease charges||—||—||7||490|
PMCC's allowance for losses at the end of the third quarter of 2012 was $99 million versus $188 million at the end of the second quarter of 2012, due to write-offs related to PMCC's lease investment with American.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV