Customer Service – 23 percentAdministrative/Clerical support – 15 percentHospitality – 15 percent Shipping/Delivery – 14 percentAccounting/Finance – 9 percentInventory management – 8 percentTechnology – 8 percentSales (other than retail) – 7 percent
Companies are hiring more and paying moreMore than six-in-ten (62 percent) employers plan to pay holiday staff $10 or more an hour in 2012, up from 53 percent last year. Twenty-two percent will pay $16 or more, up from 14 percent last year.
Don't wait to get a seasonal gigWhile holiday jobs fill up quickly, 36 percent of employers who are hiring seasonal staff reported they hire the most in October. Plans to hire in November (30 percent) remains strong, while it tails off in December (11 percent).
More employers plan to turn a seasonal gig into a full-time, permanent position. Thirty-nine percent of employers who are hiring seasonal help plan to transition some employees into full-time, permanent staff, up from 30 percent in 2011. To stand out as a candidate for a long-term opportunity, hiring managers recommended the following:
- Provide above and beyond customer service. Offer help instead of waiting to be asked for it – 53 percent
- Proactively ask for more projects – 46 percent
- Let the employer know up front that you're interested in permanent employment – 46 percent
- Present ideas on how to do something better or try something new – 34 percent
- Ask thoughtful questions about the organization – 32 percent
- Someone who isn't enthusiastic – 55 percent
- Someone who is unwilling to work certain hours – 48 percent
- Someone who knows nothing about company/products – 31 percent
- Someone who is more interested in the discount than anything else – 21 percent
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts