Customer Service – 23 percentAdministrative/Clerical support – 15 percentHospitality – 15 percent Shipping/Delivery – 14 percentAccounting/Finance – 9 percentInventory management – 8 percentTechnology – 8 percentSales (other than retail) – 7 percent
Companies are hiring more and paying moreMore than six-in-ten (62 percent) employers plan to pay holiday staff $10 or more an hour in 2012, up from 53 percent last year. Twenty-two percent will pay $16 or more, up from 14 percent last year.
Don't wait to get a seasonal gigWhile holiday jobs fill up quickly, 36 percent of employers who are hiring seasonal staff reported they hire the most in October. Plans to hire in November (30 percent) remains strong, while it tails off in December (11 percent).
More employers plan to turn a seasonal gig into a full-time, permanent position. Thirty-nine percent of employers who are hiring seasonal help plan to transition some employees into full-time, permanent staff, up from 30 percent in 2011. To stand out as a candidate for a long-term opportunity, hiring managers recommended the following:
- Provide above and beyond customer service. Offer help instead of waiting to be asked for it – 53 percent
- Proactively ask for more projects – 46 percent
- Let the employer know up front that you're interested in permanent employment – 46 percent
- Present ideas on how to do something better or try something new – 34 percent
- Ask thoughtful questions about the organization – 32 percent
- Someone who isn't enthusiastic – 55 percent
- Someone who is unwilling to work certain hours – 48 percent
- Someone who knows nothing about company/products – 31 percent
- Someone who is more interested in the discount than anything else – 21 percent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV