CHICAGO, Oct. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Retailers are stocking their stores with more than just merchandise going into the holiday season - they are also adding more seasonal help, according to a nationwide CareerBuilder survey. Thirty-six percent of retailers plan to have extra hands on deck around the holidays, a healthy jump from 29 percent in 2011. The survey was conducted by Harris Interactive© among more than 2,400 employers between August 13 and September 6, 2012.
While seasonal hiring is expected across the entire country, the five cities with the largest economies and plans to hire include:
- Los Angeles – 22 percent of employers plan to hire season help, 40 percent plan to transition them to full-time positions
- New York – 16 percent of employers plan to hire season help, 35 percent plan to transition them to full-time positions
- Atlanta – 15 percent of employers plan to hire season help, 31 percent plan to transition them to full-time positions
- Philadelphia – 14 percent of employers plan to hire season help, 36 percent plan to transition them to full-time positions
- Chicago – 13 percent of employers plan to hire season help, 31 percent plan to transition them to full-time positions
"An increase in consumer confidence is helping to fuel the best seasonal hiring the U.S. has seen in recent years," said Matt Ferguson, CEO of CareerBuilder. "While the bulk of seasonal recruitment falls within the retail space, companies across industries are hiring for a wide range of positions to support their business operations as they wrap up the year."
When looking at functional areas within an office or store, popular areas for recruitment this holiday season include:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV