HILDEN, Germany, October 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- QIAGEN and Bayer HealthCare signed collaboration agreement aimed at advancing both companies positions in personalized medicine
- The programs pair QIAGEN companion diagnostic solutions with innovative targeted therapies for patients with solid tumors developed by Bayer HealthCare
- Agreement provides framework for further collaboration projects
QIAGEN (NASDAQ: QGEN; Frankfurt, Prime Standard: QIA) and Bayer HealthCare today announced a collaboration agreement for the development and commercialization of companion diagnostics paired with novel Bayer HealthCare drugs, initially to enhance the treatment of various solid tumors. Companion diagnostics are tests that unlock molecular information from each patient's tumor genome to guide treatment decisions with medications for cancers or other diseases. The parties will also collaborate on the development of novel technologies for patient profiling which may result in innovative research-use-only products for exploratory and translational medicine. Financial details were not disclosed.
The targeted companion diagnostics will be designed to run on the QIAsymphony family of automated instruments, which is transforming laboratory workflows and helping disseminate standardized, regulator-approved diagnostics.
"We are very pleased to partner with Bayer HealthCare in developing companion diagnostics to improve life for cancer patients. As healthcare providers increasingly select the right drugs based on each individual's genomic information, the treatment of cancer is undergoing a revolution," said Dr. Helge Lubenow, Senior Vice President Molecular Diagnostics Business Area and Member of the Executive Committee of QIAGEN. "The first collaborations for Bayer HealthCare and QIAGEN include companion diagnostics based on the identification of patients who may respond to therapies in clinically unmet disease classifications. Our agreement also lays the groundwork for a strong partnership in creating future companion diagnostics both inside and outside of oncology.""Partnering with QIAGEN on companion diagnostics will help Bayer HealthCare to develop innovative therapies, enabling physicians to analyze DNA and proteins from each patient. This helps to design more efficient clinical trials and to increase the overall probability of therapeutic success for patients suffering from cancer," said Prof. Dr. Andreas Busch, Head of Global Drug Discovery and Member of the Executive Committee of Bayer HealthCare. QIAGEN is a leading partner globally in developing and validating companion diagnostics to guide the selection of medicines in treating cancer and other diseases. In July 2012, QIAGEN received FDA approval for the therascreen ® KRAS RGQ PCR Kit as a companion diagnostic in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. The U.S. rollout of therascreen KRAS builds on a strong global leadership position which includes successes in Japan, where regulators approved the therascreen KRAS and EGFR kits in 2011 and in Europe, where QIAGEN offers 10 CE-marked assays for personalized healthcare applications. In addition to the Bayer HealthCare collaboration, QIAGEN has more than 15 projects under way to co-develop and market companion diagnostics with leading pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV