SAN FRANCISCO ( TheStreet) - Apple (AAPL) capped off an incredible 2012 by announcing a slew of new products, including the long-awaited iPad Mini, as the company seeks to maintain its stranglehold in the market.
Among some of the features of the iPad Mini are a 7.9-inch screen, Apple's A5 processor, and the ability to come in Wi-Fi and LTE versions, something many other smaller tablets do not offer. This gives Apple a leg up on Google (GOOG), which only offers the Nexus 7 in Wi-Fi, though rumors suggest Google plans to announce a cellular-connected version next week.
Despite holding onto 68% of tablet market share, Apple realized that competitors including Google, Amazon (AMZN) and Barnes & Noble (BKS) are stepping up their hardware offerings, looking to eat part of the proverbial Apple pie.
At $329, Apple has differentiated itself from its competitors on price. The 7-inch Kindle Fire HD starts at $199, as does the Nexus 7. Apple is betting that its vast array of apps (275,000 specifically for iPad) and vast ecosystem (iPhone, iPod, Mac) will support its premium pricing strategy, as it's done so in the past.While the iPad Mini is likely to receive the majority of the press coverage in the coming weeks and days, and is likely to be a big holiday hit, TheStreet wants to know which tablet you would buy. Will you buy the newly announced iPad Mini, which is available for pre-order tomorrow and hits stores on Nov. 2? Or will you consider Amazon's offering, or perhaps the Google Nexus 7. Take a second to vote in the poll below. Results will be up next Friday, when the Apple iPad Mini hits store shelves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV