Balance Sheet Trends
Loans have increased $112.1 million (5.7%) from December 31, 2011 to $2.09 billion at September 30, 2012, in part due to the Company’s acquisition of Virginia Savings Bancorp, Inc. ($72.0 million). Excluding the Virginia Savings Bancorp, Inc. acquisition, loans have increased $40.1 million (2.0%) from December 31, 2011 to $2.01 billion at September 30, 2012. Increases in residential real estate loans of $36.6 million (3.9%) and commercial real estate loans of $34.5 million (4.7%) were partially offset by a decline in commercial and industrial (“C&I”) loans of $28.4 million.
Total average depository balances increased $68.1 million, or 2.9%, from the quarter ended June 30, 2012 to the quarter ended September 30, 2012. This growth was primarily attributable to deposits acquired from Virginia Savings Bancorp, Inc. ($81.8 million). Exclusive of this contribution, the Company experienced decreases in interest-bearing deposits ($6.6 million), time deposits ($4.4 million), and noninterest-bearing deposits ($3.0 million).
Income Tax ExpenseThe Company’s effective income tax rate for the third quarter of 2012 was 34.3% compared to 33.6% for the year ended December 31, 2011, and 33.5% for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. The effective rate is based upon the Company’s expected tax rate for the year ending December 31, 2012. Capitalization and Liquidity The Company’s loan to deposit ratio was 87.6% and the loan to asset ratio was 71.9% at September 30, 2012. The Company maintained investment securities totaling 14.3% of assets as of this date. The Company’s deposit mix is weighted heavily toward checking and saving accounts that fund 50.1% of assets at September 30, 2012. Time deposits fund 32.0% of assets at September 30, 2012, but very few of these deposits are in accounts that have balances of more than $250,000, reflecting the core retail orientation of the Company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV