PITTSBURGH (AP) â¿¿ Mine Safety Appliances Co. said Wednesday that its net income fell 4 percent in the third quarter after it sold off two businesses.
The company sells safety gear to mine operators, oil and gas companies and the military. It said revenue fell 4 percent after it sold its ballistic vest and North American ballistic helmet businesses.
Mine Safety's sales were also hurt by the stronger dollar and weaker euro, which made the company's products relatively more expensive in European markets. However sales of other products improved.
Mine Safety said its net income declined to $19.2 million, or 51 cents per share, from $20 million, or 54 cents per share. Net revenue fell 4 percent, to $286.6 million from $298.2 million.Analysts were forecasting net income of 56 cents per share and $289.9 million in revenue, according to FactSet. Shares of Mine Safety Appliances rose 28 cents to $36.98 in trading Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV