Banner Corporation Reports Net Income Of $15.6 Million, Or $0.79 Per Diluted Share, In Third Quarter; Net Income Highlighted By Strong Revenue Generation And Improved Credit Quality
During the third quarter, Banner repurchased approximately 40% of its senior preferred stock in private transactions at an average price of $959 per share. As a result, Banner realized gains of $2.1 million on the repurchases, which was partially offset by accelerated amortization of a portion of the initial discount recorded at the issuance of the preferred shares. In addition, the accrual of the quarterly dividend was reduced by the retirement of the repurchased shares. Including the preferred stock dividend, related accretion and gains on repurchases, net income available to common shareholders was $0.79 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2012, compared to net income available to common shareholders of $1.27 per diluted share in the second quarter of 2012 and $0.24 per diluted share for the third quarter a year ago.
Third Quarter 2012 Highlights (compared to third quarter 2011 except as noted)
- Net income was $15.6 million, compared to $6.0 million in the third quarter a year ago.
- Revenues from core operations* increased 8% to $54.3 million.
- The net interest margin was 4.22%, compared to 4.26% in the preceding quarter and 4.10% in the third quarter of 2011.
- Deposit fees and other service charges increased 10%.
- Revenues from mortgage banking increased 142%.
- Non-performing assets decreased to $59.1 million, or 1.38% of total assets, at September 30, 2012, a 19% decrease compared to three months earlier and a 61% decrease compared to a year earlier.
- Non-performing loans decreased to $38.7 million at September 30, 2012, an 18% decrease compared to three months earlier and a 53% decrease compared to a year earlier.
- The ratio of tangible common equity to tangible assets increased to 11.47% at September 30, 2012.*
- Banner repurchased 40% of its senior preferred stock at an average price of $959 per share.
*Earnings information excluding fair value and other-than-temporary impairment (OTTI) adjustments (alternately referred to as other operating income from core operations or revenues from core operations) and the ratio of tangible common equity (which excludes other intangible assets and preferred stock) to tangible assets represent non-GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) financial measures. Management has presented these non-GAAP financial measures in this earnings release because it believes that they provide useful and comparative information to assess trends in Banner’s core operations reflected in the current quarter’s results and facilitates the comparison of our performance with the performance of our peers. Where applicable, comparable earnings information using GAAP financial measures is also presented.
Income Statement Review“The net interest margin expansion compared to a year ago reflects continuing reductions in our funding costs, particularly deposit costs, and a significant reduction in the adverse effect of non-performing assets,” said Grescovich. “Further, similar to the immediately preceding quarter, the yield on loans and net interest margin in the current quarter were again augmented by the collection of some previously unrecognized interest on certain nonaccrual loans.” Banner’s net interest margin was 4.22% in the third quarter of 2012, compared to 4.26% in the preceding quarter and 4.10% in the third quarter a year ago. In the first nine months of the year, the net interest margin was 4.20% compared to 4.04% in the first nine months of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV