NEW YORK (TheStreet) - The release of Samsung's Galaxy Note II super-phone is big in almost every possible way. The phone is somewhat smaller than the original Galaxy Note, but has a larger screen of 5.5 inches, measured diagonally. It has loads of memory, a quad-core processor and a slew of new phone and tablet features (accessed with its Wacom stylus) It runs on Google's (GOOG) latest Android 4.1 OS - code named Jelly Bean.
That said, when we recorded those pieces we weren't sure about final pricing from the five cellular providers. We knew that Sprint (S) was asking $300. And we've since learned that AT&T (T) will match that price.
But this morning we received word on pricing from T-Mobile, a division of Deutsche Telekom - and it sets a new record for a contract-based Android smartphone bought from a carrier.See if you can follow this: "The device will be available in retail stores and online - and paired with a qualifying T-Mobile Value voice and data plan and two year service agreement, the Note II will cost an out-of-pocket down payment of $249.99 with 20 equal monthly payments of $20 per month via T-Mobile's Equipment Installment Plan (EIP). The Value plan paired with EIP is offered at T-Mobile retail stores. Customers can also purchase the Samsung Galaxy Note II at T-Mobile retail stores and online for $369.99 with a qualifying T-Mobile Classic voice and data plan and two year service agreement." The bottom line? That's one expensive cell phone. T-Mobile's Galaxy Note II is also the first to come with Electronic Arts' (EA) Need For Speed: Most Wanted game pre-loaded in the phone's memory. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV