JOHANNESBURG, October 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Gold Fields Limited (Gold Fields) (JSE, NYSE, NASDAQ Dubai: GFI) reports that more than 7,000 of the 8,100 employees that were dismissed at KDC East (formerly Kloof Gold Mine) yesterday, have today lodged appeals against their dismissal.
The appeal hearings start tomorrow and will be conducted over the next few days. The appeals will be chaired by independent chairpersons and those workers whose appeals are successful may be reinstated.
The 8,100 dismissed workers - out of a total staff complement of 12,500 at KDC East - had embarked on an unlawful strike on 14 October, 2012. They were issued their notices of dismissal at 15h00 yesterday after failing to respond to an ultimatum to report to work. They were granted 24 hours to appeal against the sanction of dismissal.Notes to editors About Gold Fields Gold Fields is one of the world's largest unhedged producers of gold with attributable annualised production of 3.5 million gold equivalent ounces from eight operating mines in Australia, Ghana, Peru and South Africa. Gold Fields also has an extensive and diverse global growth pipeline with four major projects in resource development and feasibility, with construction decisions expected in the next 18 to 24 months. Gold Fields has total attributable gold equivalent Mineral Reserves of 80.6 million ounces and Mineral Resources of 217 million ounces. Gold Fields is listed on the JSE Limited (primary listing), the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), NASDAQ Dubai Limited, Euronext in Brussels (NYX) and the Swiss Exchange (SWX). Sponsor: J.P. Morgan Equities Limited Enquiries Willie Jacobsz Tel: +27-11-562-9775 Mobile: +27-82-971-9238 Email: Willie.Jacobsz@goldfields.co.za Sven Lunsche Tel: +27-11-562-9763 Mobile: +27-83-260-9279 email: Sven.Lunsche@goldfields.co.za SOURCE Gold Fields Limited
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV