RICHMOND, Va. (AP) â¿¿ Cigarette maker Lorillard Inc. said Wednesday its third-quarter net income rose 6 percent, as higher prices helped offset a decline in the number of cigarettes sold.
The nation's third-biggest tobacco company said intense promotional activity drove the number of cigarettes it sold down about 2 percent during the quarter to about 10.1 billion cigarettes. Newport, its biggest brand, fell at about the same rate, but the Greensboro, N.C.-based company's share of the U.S. market grew to 0.2 percentage points to 14.4 percent. The company estimates that the industry as a whole sold 2.7 percent fewer cigarettes during the quarter.
Lorillard said its net income grew to $283 million, or $2.16 per share, for the three-month period ended Sept. 30, up from $267 million, or $1.94 per share, a year ago.On an adjusted basis, earnings were $2.17 per share, missing Wall Street expectations of $2.23 per share. Revenue excluding excises taxes rose 4.5 percent to $1.16 billion. Analysts polled by FactSet expected revenue of $1.2 billion. Its shares fell $5.24, or about 4.5 percent, to $110.54 in morning trading Wednesday. In a conference call with investors, Lorillard CEO Murray Kessler said even in the face of heavy competitive discounting of menthol cigarettes, "I never cease to be amazed by the strength of the Newport franchise." Still Kessler said the company anticipates the market to remain "challenged" in the short term. Despite Lorillard's top competitors' continued efforts to grab some of the growing menthol market, Newport's share of the menthol market rose 0.3 points to 36.4 percent. Most tobacco companies have been raising prices and cutting costs to keep profits up as the recession and declining demand cut into cigarette sales. Tax increases, smoking bans, health concerns and social stigma also have made the cigarette business tougher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV