United Technologies (UTX) ($77.07) missed on the revenue line on Tuesday. The stock opened below its 200-day SMA at $78.48 and traded as low as $76.35. The weekly chart has been negative since the week of Oct. 5. The risk is to the 200-week SMA at $70.92.
Netflix (NFLX) ($68.22) met earnings estimates but cut its subscriber forecast. The stock fell 16% to $56.74 in after-hours trading on Tuesday. The weekly chart shifts to neutral on a close this week below its five-week modified moving average at $63.79. The stock had a strong sell rating, according to www.ValuEngine.com, so a negative reaction should not be a surprise. The stock has a base at lows of $52.81 on Aug. 3, $53.13 on Sept. 4 and $53.05 on Sept. 26.
At the time of publication, Suttmeier had no positions in stocks mentioned.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.Follow @Suttmeier
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV