Avery Dennison Corporation (NYSE:AVY) today announced preliminary, unaudited third quarter 2012 results. All non-GAAP financial measures referenced in this document are reconciled to GAAP in the attached tables. Unless otherwise indicated, the discussion of the company’s results is focused on its continuing operations.
“In the third quarter, we delivered the strongest organic sales growth since first quarter 2011,” said Dean Scarborough, Avery Dennison chairman, president and CEO. “Continued top-line momentum in Pressure-sensitive Materials and a rebound in Retail Branding and Information Solutions’ core business, as well as accelerating adoption of RFID, drove better than expected earnings for the quarter. As a result, we raised our guidance for full-year earnings per share.
“Our restructuring initiative is well under way, and we are on track to achieve more than $100 million in annualized savings by mid-2013,” Scarborough said. “The leaner cost structure that will result will enhance our competitive position and strengthen our ability to increase returns.
“We continued to repurchase shares, meeting our commitment to return more cash to shareholders while maintaining a strong balance sheet,” Scarborough said.For more details on the company’s results, see the summary table accompanying this news release, as well as the supplemental presentation materials, “Third Quarter 2012 Financial Review and Analysis,” posted on the company’s website at www.investors.averydennison.com , and furnished on Form 8-K with the SEC. Third Quarter 2012 Results by Segment All references to sales reflect comparisons on an organic basis, which exclude the estimated impact of currency translation, acquisitions and divestitures. Adjusted operating margin refers to earnings before interest expense and taxes, excluding restructuring costs and other items, as a percentage of sales. Pressure-sensitive Materials (PSM)
- Pressure-sensitive Materials segment sales increased approximately 7 percent. Within the segment and compared to prior year, Label and Packaging Materials sales increased high single digits, and Graphics and Reflective Solutions sales increased mid-single digits.
- Operating margin declined 30 basis points to 7.4 percent due to higher employee-related expenses, the impact of changes in product mix, and higher restructuring costs, partially offset by the benefit of higher volume and productivity initiatives. Adjusted operating margin improved 40 basis points.
- Sales increased approximately 7 percent compared to prior year driven by increased demand from U.S. and European retailers and brands, including accelerating RFID adoption.
- Operating margin improved 210 basis points to 2.8 percent as the benefit of productivity initiatives, higher volume, and lower restructuring costs more than offset higher employee-related expenses and the impact of changes in product mix. Adjusted operating margin improved 90 basis points.
- Sales decreased approximately 1 percent due to lower volume.
- Operating margin improved 310 basis points to 1.9 percent driven by increased RFID profitability, partially offset by higher restructuring costs. Adjusted operating margin improved 500 basis points.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.