Third Quarter GDP Indicates Little Hope for Better Times
The unemployment rate has been lowered mostly by folks quitting the job market altogether. If the adult labor force participation rate was the same today as when the recovery began, unemployment would stand at about 9.7%. Adding in folks relegated to part time work, but who would prefer full time positions, the jobless rate jumps to 14.7%.
The difference is plain. Reagan acted to unleash the creative energies of the private sector, while Obama has moved in the opposite direction.
Moreover, most of Obama's successful efforts have been focused to reward his 2008 supporters -- unionized industries in the Midwest such as autos and overly generous bank bailouts -- and swing states.
Consequently, he has likely moved into his column conservative Iowa -- normally a republican state in close national contests -- with generous subsidies for wind farms and ethanol -- and erected a firewall against a Romney electoral college majority in Ohio -- a state where one of every eight workers benefits from generous subsidies to General Motors (GM) and Chrysler.America is all about private enterprise, and without leadership that believes in the primacy of the private sector, it can't succeed. Targeted federal giveaways may be good Electoral College politics but won't win Obama a place in history for the quality and success of his economic stewardship. Follow @PMorici1 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV