WARRINGTON, Pa., Oct. 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Discovery Laboratories, Inc. (Nasdaq: DSCO), a specialty biotechnology company dedicated to advancing a new standard in respiratory critical care, today reports a commercial update for SURFAXIN ® and AFECTAIR ®. The Company has initiated commercial launch activities for both products by training and deploying its newly-formed commercial and medical affairs organizations with the goal of securing hospital formulary acceptance for SURFAXIN, expected to be commercially available in the second quarter of 2013, and adoption of AFECTAIR with an anticipated product availability in December 2012.
As the Company continues to make progress in its launch readiness efforts, Discovery Labs has:
- Held its first national meeting to welcome and complete the training of its newly-hired field sales force, national accounts team and medical science liaison team,
- Deployed its field force with the primary objective of gaining hospital formulary acceptance for SURFAXIN and adoption of AFECTAIR,
- Executed or is finalizing group purchasing organization and national account contracts,
- Continues to manufacture SURFAXIN at a commercial scale as it has for several years,
- Established supply chain distribution and warehouse arrangements,
- Enhanced its quality control and assurance infrastructure with additional hiring of highly-qualified scientific, technical and analytical personnel and systems implementation.
During a recent review of the results and processes related to the analytical testing and quality control of SURFAXIN drug product, Discovery Labs determined that one of its analytical chemistry methods used to assess its drug product's conformance to specifications requires improvement and that an update to product specifications will be necessary. Discovery Labs has proactively communicated its findings regarding this analytical method to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), has initiated a plan to improve and validate its analytical method, and plans to submit updated product specifications to the FDA. Based on the anticipated time required to improve the method, submit updated specifications, and await confirmation from the FDA, Discovery Labs anticipates that, if its plan is successful, the availability of SURFAXIN drug product will be delayed until early in the second quarter of 2013. This is not expected to have a material adverse effect on the Company's business or financial position, in part, because the Company's commercial launch plan for SURFAXIN during this period has always been to focus initially on formulary acceptance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV