By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls targeted UnitedHealth (UNH) for the second session in a row Tuesday.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of about 10,000 November 60 calls for 32 cents and 33 cents. Open interest in the strike was 7,305 contracts at the beginning of the day, indicating that new positions were initiated.
The calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares in the health-insurance giant. That gives them significant leverage in the event of a rally, but the contracts can expire worthless if the shares don't move.UnitedHealth fell 0.64% to $56.18 Tuesday but has been holding support at its 200-day moving average after a so-so quarterly report last week. Investors purchased the November 55 calls on Monday also looking for a rally. Overall option volume in the name was quadruple its daily average Tuesday, with calls accounting for a bullish 80% of the total. Russell has no positions in UNH.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV